From time to time I find myself looking for an account that is associated with a specific email address. If the email address in question is an alias, a simple search in Exchange won’t turn up any results. Running a query in Active Directory Users and Computers can locate the information easily.
To run this query, take the following steps:
- Open the Active Directory Users and Computers mmc.
- Right-click on the domain and select the “Find” option.
- Select the “Custom Search” option from the “Find:” drop down menu.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- In the field under “Enter LDAP query:” type the following: “(proxyAddresses=smtp:firstname.lastname@example.org)”.
- Hit the “Find Now” button and prepare for win.